Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Truth/Lies... and more about fear...

I awoke this morning thinking about FDR's approach to fear, and how he thought it should be handled. Instead of empowering the American people to overcome their fears and solve their own problems, he exploded the size of the government, so the government could solve the problems, except that the idea of government solving problems is a lie. The Founding Fathers understood that the government should be limited in order for the people to thrive, otherwise, the people are serving the government instead of the government serving the people.

Sadder still, FDR expected the people to put their trust in the government, instead of God. He may have presented it with a side dish of faith in God, but that's the whole problem. God is not an aside. God is all powerful, all knowing, all loving, all present. FDR offered a lie: the government will solve the problems of the country.

Problems are a part of life. Pretending that all problems are solvable and/or avoidable is a lie. In fact, removing all problems is not only impossible but pointless. How does one grow? Change? What is the purpose of courage? Strength? Even love?

I don't want anyone solving my problems for me. Do I want help? Yes. I appreciate those who help me along my way. But there is a huge difference between doing for me what I am capable of doing for myself and helping me do what I cannot do for myself. There is also a difference between expecting me to do what I cannot, and never giving me the opportunity to see how far I can go, even if I can't finish.

Am I afraid I'll fail? Yes, I am. I'm more afraid of not trying. I don't want the fear taken away. It adds an edge that pushes me a little farther than I might attempt without the fear. Fear also gives me the opportunity to exercise faith and courage. There is a joy that comes when I face my fear and master it.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." Here's the truth, as paradoxical as it sounds: Fear is not something of which we need to be afraid. It is a tool to be used to help us become who we are meant to be. Mary Ellen Edmonds advised: Do something, every day, that scares you to death. I'd forgotten that for far too long, but I'm realizing that though I forgot for a time, I've been remembering for a while.

Life is an adventure, and it isn't much fun without a little fear mixed in. Here's another truth: You decide whether you use fear as a tool to shape your life, or allow it to rule over you to diminish your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Good Friday

Jesus endured suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane, an unjust trial, beating, flogging, a crown of thorns, a grueling walk carrying the cro...