Tuesday, April 3, 2012

God Hug...

This is way beyond a wink.

I'm a writer. My first book is officially submitted for editing, and I'm working on the next one. I have an older version of Office for the job I'm phasing out of my life.

My WordPress blog has been telling me I needed to update my Safari. I couldn't being on Leopard (Mac operating system when I bought my computer). Mac has updated its operating system to Snow Leopard and then Lion. Then I saw that with the upcoming changes in IPS (web addresses) old system wouldn't recognize some addresses, so I decided it was time to update.

I waffled. For months.

The other day, my friend told me I needed to buy Snow Leopard, then one of the inspirational pages I liked on FaceBook suggested doing something that scares you to death. Updating my computer was it. The same friend teased that I had Microsoft PTSD. Even on my Mac, every time I update Office, there's a bubble of time when things are a little messed up, and then it settles.

I finally ordered Snow Leopard. The wrong name was on it, and it was delayed, but it made it, yesterday. I couldn't bring myself to put in the disk. What if something went wrong? I decided to wait and do it when my friend called, today.

It took longer than I expected, but the generally expected amount of time, about an hour. My dear friend hung on the phone with me, even though she needed to eat, until my sister unexpectedly showed up. She needed to see the parents, and stopped to see me. Thank God.

I was able to let my friend go, because my sister was willing to stay and help me. I can do it myself, but I need to talk things through. Except there were things I couldn't do myself.

She knew about needing to update Microsoft Rosetta. Done. She walked me through all the updates, which ones I needed and which ones I didn't, doing it a little at a time. I can do this.

Then it was time to update to Lion, the next operating system. She asked, "Is it compatible with your Office software?"

Wait... What?

We checked.

It isn't!

I'll have to update my Office before downloading Lion!

Can you imagine the explosive upheaval if I couldn't open my documents?

My sister had planned to pick up a book, and decided against it.

My friend was able to walk me through what needed to be done, until my sister arrived, who then saw me through the rest of the process, each giving their expertise exactly when I needed it and how I needed.

It wasn't a wink; it was a huge hug.

God is aware of me, and He brought into my day exactly who I needed when I needed them.

Thanks God.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I hate computers. I hid under the bed for weeks when I moved. Those darn cords looked wickedly bad. Hoping for a good outcome for you. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. I like Snow Leopard, and now I know what comes next and that I can wait a bit before I tackle the next step. :-) I hate all those cords, too.

      Delete

TBR 2024

41 .  Not Dead Yet ( Guardian series Book 6 )  by  Traci Hunter Abramson suspense romance.  42.   Secrets of St. Augustine (Sinister Secrets...