Thursday, April 12, 2012

Week Forty-Two of REAL...

Reminders: REAL - Reduce stress Exercise Adequate sleep Lower caloric intake

What Navy SEALs are required to do to make it into BUD/S:
500 yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke 12.5 minutes 10 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups 2 minutes 2 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups 2 minutes 2 minute rest
Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups No time limit 10 minute rest
Run 1.5 miles wearing boots and long pants 11.5 minutes

Here's the link if you're interested in the whole thing: http://navyseal.s5.com/requirements.html

RIght up front: Never in a million years could I do what is required. However, I needed to start somewhere. Considering how fit the SEALs are, I figured it was a good place to start. So my SEAL puppy reps consist of girls' pushups, crunches, and flutter kicks, a SEAL training basic. I started with doing one of each. This week, I try to increase my reps. Making a slight change, to help me keep things straight. Doing 3 reps of a count of 20 of each of my physical therapy, and also keeping my SEAL puppy reps at 20 for another week, then I'll start increasing them all together at the same time.

The 6th: weigh in: 231.4 lb. Hamburger, cookies, pork and potatoes, yogurt, cake, hot chocolate. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk. SEAL puppy rep. I overslept, an hour. I'm feeling behind, now. My shoulder is in pain, and I was thinking it was because of carrying in groceries, but that happened last Tuesday. It doesn't usually wait two days to manifest. Then I remember the other night, editing, and not bothering to move my wrist rest one inch, so I could use it properly. It's less than a half inch, and yes, it makes that big a difference for me. I've spent the day feeling like I want to crawl out of my skin. I finally took an allergy pill. That twitchy feeling is gone, but now I can't keep my eyes open, and it's only mid afternoon. My printer refuses to talk to my word program, though it was willing enough to talk to my computer, because I was able to print a test page, from my computer. Stupid programs. I've had better days; this is not one of them. I suspect there are also some underlying memories and emotions I'm studiously ignoring.

The 7th: weigh in: 230.4 lb. Didn't expect that. Pcroissant and hot chocolate (yummy), ham sandwich and cookies, crackers and cake. Two-mile walk with my sister. Much enjoyed and needed. Physical therapy, with 1-lb weights, 3 groups of 6 different upper body exercises at 20 reps each.

The 8th: weigh in: 230 lb.

The 9th: weigh in: 230.6 lb. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk. SEAL puppy rep. Two hours sleep. Definitely napping, today.

The 10th: weigh in: 231.4 lb. One-mile walk. Physical therapy, with 1-lb weights.

The 11th: weigh in: 232 lb. SEAL puppy rep. Two-mile walk. SEAL puppy rep. Sigh... I was a bad, bad girl. The jelly beans are all gone, so is the Dove chocolate Fairy Bunny. Note to self: Easter, next year, no jelly beans, unless I'm sharing them, and no chocolate bunny. I can eat the chocolate eggs in a reasonable fashion, so they're still okay, though they were almost half price after Easter, so maybe wait to buy them.

The 12th: weigh in: 232.6 lb. Waist circumference: 39". Oh. That time of the month, started early. This explains the melancholy and the binging. Shoot. Darn. Crumbs. PIckles. BAH! One-mile walk, today, and physical therapy, with 1-lb weights. My eating will be better for the next little while.

Inspiration, at least to me:


No comments:

Post a Comment

REAL Apr 15-20

REAL -  R educe stress  E xercise  A dequate sleep  L ower caloric intake Trying to walk 1 mile 3x a week. Only made it twice this week. The...